Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Darkest Christmas Night

Instead of Christmas carol, the radio was blaring with martial music, making the war jitters more intense. We hardly slept that night planning what to do after I left for Bataan. I promised Pat that I will go back for her as soon as I find a lodging place and get settled in our new Headquarters, not being aware of the fact that we were headed for the jungles of Bataan where there were no homes but forest trees!

In the city not a single flicker of light was noticed. There was "total blackout" despite the fact that it was Christmas eve. That was the darkest night during Christmas in my life. It also started the Darkest part of Philippine History.

One evening before my departure, I arrived in Kamuning without any light. All the newly built Project homes were alike, like "cats that look alike in the dark."

I entered the house and grouped my way to the bedroom. then I was surprised to hear the voice of my neighbor's wife saying "naimbagman ta immayka." (How nice of you to come) She was Sgt. Juan Aquias's wife that was inside the mosquito net. I was surprised!

Without any word I retreated speedily and then told the story to Pat. That was the first time we started laughing. I found out later that Pat told Manang Isid that it was I who groped into her bed. She was very much relieved after that. She thought it was a ghost or someone else.

Our parting was like a movie drama. With martial music as a background, and Pat sobbing uncontrollably, and not allowing me to leave her; I assured her that I'll be back for her. We parted after intense kisses. My face was wet with tears.

Her mother and sister assured me that they will look after her and that they will pray for me.

As I turned the curb towards the bus stop, I waved back to Pat. That was the last time we saw each other on Dec 25. 1941 until I was released as a sick POW on August 4, 1942 in Manila.

No comments: