Monday, April 12, 2010

History of My Life - Part G: 1 - Pensionados

Before I totally leave Bangued from the Story of My Life, I would like to share some personal experiences that I can't forget.

1. One of them is my conversation with my brother, Elix, while walking to buy "lomo-lomo" in Pagpartian. I was about seven and he was about five years of age more or less. I asked him what he wanted to be when he grows up. He also asked me what I wanted to be. We mentioned various professions as: teacher, doctor, priest, lawyer, engineer or officer. We didn't mention our father's profession.

Finally we decided that we will become PENSIONADOS! I guess we were impressed by our neighbor, Mr Gerson, a pensionado. Whenever he passed by our house to get his pension we heard our father saying, "NAIMBAGKA PAY GIEM TA AGAOAWATCA TI PENSIONADO BINOLAN." When we were eating, our father explained that a PENSIONADO gets money without working.

Elix became a "pensionado" but his pension was given to our stepmother as his survivor following his death as a Prisoner of War during World War II. I became a "pensionado" in 1965 after my 30 years of service in the Army. Then I also became a "pensionado" in 1981 when I retired at age 63 from the Social Security System of the U.S.A. I was then a Senior Paralegal of the Bay Area Legal Services. Now I am getting two pensions! Praise the Lord!

No comments: