Wednesday, January 26, 2011

History of My Life - Part H: Mother's Death

Mother's death when I was 14 was the most traumatic experience I had.  I visited her grave almost every day after school hours because the cemetery was close to the Abra H.S. where I enrolled as 2nd year student.  There I cried, I prayed, I wished... she were still alive.  I learned how to sing the Ilocano song entitled "Kanta ti Ulila" (Song of an Orpan):

Idi payla ubingac - When I was still young
Ni inak inolilana - My mother orphaned me (literal)
Itan ta domakelac - Now that I am big
Sapolek deyoi inak - I looked for my mother
Awan ti makaammo - Nobody knows
Sadinno ti ayanna - Where she is
Timek ti meysa nga angel - The voice of an angel
Konana a natay. - Said: "She is dead."
No agarobos luluac - When my tears flow freely
O nasamit nga inac - O sweet mother of mine
Nalibnos a ladawam - Your clear image
Ti agparang caniac - Appears before me
Deyta ti naganac kenca - This is your mother
Yan tandan kararuac - My soul remembers
Diac kenca malipat - Never will I forget you
Ingat tong paltoy biag - Until my life ends.

I always cried when I sang this song.  I guess I was very much attached to my mother.  I was at her bedside until she died.  I saw her suddenly get up, kneel before a big cross with Jesus crucified, made the sign of the cross, then went back, lie down quietly, and died.  Her last thought at the point of death was Jesus!  Praise the Lord.  How I wish to be like her when my time comes to return this borrowed life from God back to Him through Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior!  JBS.  Amen.

No comments: