Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Nanay - Part 3

III.
The following days were blank ones for me. I even became lax in my studies as all sorts of things came into my mind. First it was Vestre then Siniong. And added to this was our very serious financial condition. I contemplated to tell my mother about Siniong’s revelation of his love but I was also afraid. I didn’t know why. The following Sunday he came again and stayed for lunch. My mother must have noticed something because I could not act natural. The moment I saw him coming, something simply went thump-thump-thump in my chest and my hands and feet went cold. He did better, though. He simply said, “Hello, Pat.” and went to my mother. They went into a pow-wow until it was time for lunch and she had to invite him to dine with us.

Later that afternoon he invited my mother to go to the Luneta. He knew very well that she wanted so much to go there for a breath of sea air as our apartment was rather stuffy and hot. Then he matter-of-factly asked me if I wanted to go along. At first I intended to stay but then I realized that if I refused, my mother might make conclusions. So I went. I noticed Vestre’s envious eyes as we left the house. I knew he was at the window looking at us but I didn’t want to look up, because one of the reasons why I went with Siniong and mother ws that I didn’t want to be left alone in the house since my sister and her husband had gone out earlier.

It was around that time that my mother had to dismiss two boarders because they hadn’t paid for three months. We again looked for a smaller place and a cheaper one, too. We found one at Calle Gastambide which had only one advantage and it is its nearness to my school.

It was in this place that my bro-in-law left my sister for good. He said he was going for a vacation and also to visit his mother. My sister never thought that he would not come back anymore. One week after he left, my sister gave birth to a baby boy, October 22, 1939 to be exact, at the Mary Chiles Hospital. I wrote by brother-in-law about it and we expected him to come running home to his child. Weeks passed but he didn’t show up. Finally at the end of her rope, my sister bundled her son up and went to her husband’s home town. What took place there we never knew, but when she came back a week later, she was in tears and showed us a written agreement entered into by herself and her husband whose contents were to the effect that they were separated with mutual consent. My mother was sorry for the child but we were thankful because we got rid of an ingrate at last.

My birthday was approaching and as it neared I was getting restless because I promised Siniong he would have my answer on my birthday. I told him so when we went to an excursion in Montalban and he tagged along. I’ll never forget the trip. We were having that excursion in connection with our lessons in Biology so that we could gather specimens where there were plenty. We had our class organization sponsor it so we could hold a dance also. Siniong knew about it when my mother and I were discussing what I was to bring along and he arrived at home. He suggested that since we were holding the excursion on a Sunday, he could come along and he said he would take care of the “baon.” We shopped together that afternoon in Quiapo market for some pork chops, eggs and bread. I was glad that my mother didn’t suspect anything yet otherwise she would not have consented to our going together.

I was seeing Montalban for the first time. Seven Meralco buses brought us there and everyone was in high spirits. About noontime, we had gathered all the specimens we needed and the dancing began. The N.U. Band furnished the music. Siniong suggested that we have our lunch first since it was already almost twelve o’clock before we went to the dance hall. We selected a nice slab of white stone near the water’s edge for a table. I was getting nervous because the moment I dreaded most was nearing. I could have objected to our eating alone and could have suggested going with the others but I somehow didn’t. It seemed as though he had me in tow and whatever he suggested I readily agreed. I was wondering, too, because where I had been tom-boyish with other admirers; I was completely tame and coy with him. It may be because I trusted him so much and that I was quite sure, even then, that he would not do anything disagreeable to me. My chest was in a constant thump-thumping and I was grateful that he started only to press his question when we were almost through. It was then that I promised him that he would have my answer on my birthday, which was just a few days away.

The following morning when I went to school, I was surprised to see that the fortnightly issue of “The National” was already out. Most of the students in the lobby were all reading their copies. Then before I knew what happened, I was besieged by classmates and friends and they started pumping my hand in congratulations. I didn’t know what it was all about until someone showed a copy of the brand new “Junior National” (for the High School department) before my eyes. The headline read, “Junior Wins Editorship.” Then smaller letters, “Petite Patricia Enrile wins Essay Contest. She’s First Editor-In-Chief.”

I could not believe my eyes. I was so glad I almost cried. Then there was a sea of faces before me, Seniors mostly and Collegiates. They all shook my hand and congratulated me. The bell rang then, the crowd dispersed and, as I was about to go to my room, I saw Mr. Ty approaching. When he saw me he signaled me to wait for him. “Congratulations.” and he shook my hand. “Prepare a nice photo of yours for the next issue.” He instructed when we parted.

My first subject was English and as I entered the room I was met with a loud cheer by everyone. I stopped in my tracks and could not help the tears that came, tears of joy, at my achievement. Mrs. Ferrer, my English instructor led me to her table and she said, “We are proud of you, Patricia, very proud indeed. Keep up your good work, you’ll be somebody someday.”

I could not wait for the noon hour to strike so I could go home to bring my mother the good news. When it finally came, I hurriedly went inside the “National” offices, took several copies of the paper and hurried home. My mother shed tears when I told her. The boarders were very glad, too, and insisted that the occasion called for a celebration. In the afternoon, Siniong came. I knew he was very glad when he heard about it and he, too, offered his congratulations.
The following week was a happy one for me. Letters came from friends, Miss Inoncentes for one, knew about it through the Exchange column of their school organ “The La Union Tab.” Senia also wrote, and my classmates in Bayombong. Mr. Ferdan, instructor in the N.V.H.S. and also librarian wrote that he clipped the page of our paper and had it posted prominently in the library. In this same hectic week also came my birthday. All of a sudden I felt weak. I remembered my promise to Siniong and I still didn’t have my answer. But I had to keep my word so I wrote him a letter. I just told him about my doubts, my misgivings. I didn’t spare myself, I told him how inexperienced I was in love-affairs. On my birthday he came, but we didn’t have a chance to be alone. So I felt a little relieved because I was sure I would go to pieces if he pressed his question further.

No comments: